20 Mar Agricultural Attorney Joel McKie – AgGrad Live Podcast 009
Joel McKie is an agricultural and energy attorney with Hall Booth Smith, PC., a full-service law firm with a wide range of practice areas including litigation and dispute resolutions, property rights claims, and government and regulatory affairs. He currently serves as the President of the University of Georgia College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences Alumni Association and was appointed twice by former Governor Sonny Perdue to the Agricultural Education Advisory Commissions
Joel joins me today to share what it’s like to work as an agricultural attorney. He shares some of the core issues he helps farmers and agriculture professionals resolve, examples of the types of clients he works with, and what inspired him to become an attorney in the agricultural space.
“You can use a law degree to really do good.” – Joel McKie
Today on AgGrad Live:
- What it’s like to be an attorney in the agricultural space.
- How growing up on a farm helped mold his work ethic.
- The skill sets you need to be a successful agricultural attorney.
- The most memorable and rewarding case he has handled.
- Trials and tribulations he has faced throughout his career.
- Finding a work-life balance in a demanding law career.
- Types of cases he enjoys the most.
Joel McKie’s Advice for Future Agriculture Attorneys:
- Find time to do prep courses and studying.
- Your undergraduate GPA is like a measuring stick for getting into law school.
- Your work experience gives you exposure and allows you to build a good reputation for Letters of References as well as the application process.
Connect, Share & ADVANCE Your Career in Agriculture
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of AgGrad Live – the podcast helping aspiring, new, and veteran professionals advance their careers in the agriculture industry. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show on iTunes, visit our website, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Don’t forget to share each episode on your favorite social media platforms to help other professionals advance their careers in the agriculture industry!