03 Jan Commercial Greenhouses on Conventional Farms with Joe Swartz – Future of Agriculture
Joe Swartz is the Vice President and Lead Horticulturist at AmHydro, a company recognized as a top innovator in the ag industry and focused on developing products that promote efficient hydroponic growing systems. Joe is also widely recognized as one of the leading consultants when it comes to Controlled Environment Agricultural industries that include commercial greenhouse farms. He specializes in crop production improvements, pesticide-free insect and disease control, and professional grower training, among other skills.
Joe joins me today to discuss the economic implications of fusing traditional farming with greenhouse technology. He shares why he is interested in greenhouse farming and how he initially tried it himself. He explains how controlled ag works and the factors required to make it work. He describes the benefits traditional farmers can reap from adapting greenhouse operations. Joe also shares some of the limitations of controlled environment agriculture.
“Incorporation of greenhouse techniques into an existing traditional farm is really a very natural and very positive progression.” – Joe Swartz
This Week on The Future of Agriculture Podcast:
- What Joe’s focus was before he became invested on greenhouse technology.
- Where his interest in controlled ag came from.
- The importance of the environment and location when it comes to controlled ag.
- The practicalities of controlled ag during the winter.
- Benefits of merging traditional farming and controlled environments.
- The return on investment when it comes to greenhouse farming.
- Encouraging the youth to join the ag industry.
- Limiting factors of setting up a controlled environment type of farm.
- Determining standards of practices for controlled environments.
Connect with Joe Swartz
We Are a Part of a Bigger Family!
Join the Conversation!
To get your most pressing ag questions answered and share your perspective on various topics we’ve discussed on the Future of Agriculture podcast, head over to SpeakPipe.com/FutureofAg and leave a recorded message!
Share the Ag-Love!
Thanks for joining us on the Future of Agriculture Podcast – your spot for valuable information, content, and interviews with industry leaders throughout the agricultural space! If you enjoyed this week’s episode, please subscribe on iTunes and leave your honest feedback. Don’t forget to share it with your friends on your favorite social media spots!
Learn more about AgGrad by visiting:
Like the podcast? Subscribe!
Get curated insights about the people, companies, and perspectives shaping the future of agriculture!