04 Oct Future of Agriculture 073: How Agricultural Development Creates Food Secure Communities with David Norman of Heifer International
David Norman is the Senior Vice President of Investments Programs at Heifer International, a company that promotes a “pay it forward” approach to sustainable agriculture. Their mission is to end world hunger and poverty while also taking care of the planet by working with communities. This approach seems to be a great answer to the issue of food security and sustainability, as Heifer is driven by the “teach a man to fish” philosophy which ensures the families they help are all able to contribute to eradicating world hunger.
In this episode, David explains what Heifer International is all about, it’s humble beginnings, and its mission. He also shares the different challenges they face with every program as well as some of the successes that made it all worthwhile.
“You basically want markets to compete for your products.” – David Norman
This Week on The Future of Agriculture Podcast:
- An example of a market that is not dependable or fair.
- How they structure their business and programs.
- How the company selects which communities to target.
- Will the communities know Heifer International is involved or do they operate behind the scenes?
- Is there a difference between social capital and trust?
- Challenges that prevent or delay communities prospering as a result of Heifer’s work.
- What is the value chain?
- How do they know if their programs are working?
- What are the logistics behind their programs?
- What are their considerations when it comes to where they invest their money?
- The big challenges we as a society need to overcome for their company to realize their mission.
Connect with David Norman:
We Are a Part of a Bigger Family!
The Future of Agriculture Podcast is now part of the Farm and Rural Ag Network. Listen to more ag-related podcasts by subscribing on iTunes or on the Farm and Rural Ag Network Website today.
Share the Ag-Love!
Thanks for joining us on the Future of Agriculture Podcast – your spot for valuable information, content, and interviews with industry leaders throughout the agricultural space! If you enjoyed this week’s episode, please subscribe on iTunes and leave your honest feedback. Don’t forget to share it with your friends on your favorite social media spots!
Learn more about AgGrad by visiting:
AgGrad on Twitter
AgGrad on Facebook
AgGrad on LinkedIn
AgGrad on Instagram