18 Sep Synthetic Biology with Dr. John Cumbers of SynBioBeta – Future of Agriculture
Dr. John Cumbers is the founder of SynBioBeta. SynBioBeta prides itself as the premier innovation network for innovators, investors, entrepreneurs, and biological engineers. Their focus is introducing synthetic biology innovations to improve the human condition and make life more sustainable. John is a recipient of multiple grants and awards from NASA and the National Academy of Sciences for his work in the industry. He received his Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, and Biochemistry from Brown University, his MSc in Bioinformatics from Edinburgh University, and a degree in Computer Science with Information Engineering from the University of Hull.
John joins me today to discuss the potential of synthetic biology if applied to today’s agriculture sector. He explains what SynBioBeta stands for, what they want to accomplish, and the innovations we can look forward to as consumers. He shares his thoughts on lab-grown meat, the Anti-GMO crowds, and the future of Mars exploration. John also discusses what we can look forward to from their Beta Space Event.
“Synthetic biology is not actually what you do – it’s the way you do it.” – Dr. John Cumbers
This Week on The Future of Agriculture Podcast:
- What SynBioBeta is and what they aim to achieve with synthetic biology.
- The innovations synthetic biology has made possible.
- His thoughts on plant-based meats and cell-based meats.
- How Rural America can benefit from what he calls the “Bio Belt.”
- What needs to happen to pursue a “Bio Belt” hub program.
- How the Anti-GMO community reacts to their technological innovations.
- Why everybody should have a bio strategy.
- What extremophiles are and how they can help produce food in space.
- His opinion on the future of Mars exploration.
- What people can look forward to the Beta Space event.
Connect with Dr. John Cumbers:
- Book: What’s Your Bio Strategy?
- The Mycelium Revolution: How a mushroom can make food, plastic, and more
This episode is sponsored by Indigo Ag
What if surviving a drought began with just a microbe? What could accessing 10,000 buyers do for your agriculture business? Indigo Ag helps farmers improve profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health by working with growers to reimagine every aspect of the agriculture industry – from soil to sale.
To learn more about Indigo Ag and their mission to improve the environment and agriculture industry, visit IndigoAg.com/Questions
Indigo. From questions… we grow.
We Are a Part of a Bigger Family!
Join the Conversation!
To get your most pressing ag questions answered and share your perspective on various topics we’ve discussed on the Future of Agriculture podcast, head over to SpeakPipe.com/FutureofAgand leave a recorded message!
Share the Ag-Love!
Thanks for joining us on the Future of Agriculture Podcast – your spot for valuable information, content, and interviews with industry leaders throughout the agricultural space! If you enjoyed this week’s episode, please subscribe on iTunes and leave your honest feedback. Don’t forget to share it with your friends on your favorite social media spots!
Learn more about AgGrad by visiting:
Like the podcast? Subscribe!
Get curated insights about the people, companies, and perspectives shaping the future of agriculture!