03 Apr U.S. Policy on Lab-Grown Meat with Scott Bennett of the American Farm Bureau Federation – Future of Agriculture
Scott Bennett is the Director of Congressional Relations at the American Farm Bureau Federation, an independent, voluntary, non-government group that is headed by people who represent the best interests of farmers and their families in the US. He obtained his Bachelor of Science degree in Agricultural Economics and Political Science at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Before joining the American Farm Bureau Federation, he was the legislative director for Rep. Bob Goodlatte, a House Agriculture Committee Senior member.
Scott joins me today to discuss the developments on lab-grown protein products and their potential benefits to the economy. He explains some of the political aspects of agriculture, particularly on its relationship with government entities. He also describes the differences between plant-based and lab-based proteins and shares his views for the future of lab-grown proteins as well as advice to those who want to support this idea.
“Five years ago, lab-grown protein was science fiction, but here we are faced with it today. It is the reality.” – Scott Bennett
This Week on The Future of Agriculture Podcast:
- The significance of having a primary jurisdiction with USDA.
- Policy differences between gene-edited livestock and cell-based meats.
- His thoughts on the recent press release from the FDA.
- Plant-based and lab-grown proteins and their key labeling differences.
- How he sees this technology developing in five years.
- Getting involved in the local government to pass the necessary laws for agtech.
- How the public perceives lab-grown protein.
- The biggest issues facing the current agricultural innovation landscape.
Connect with Scott Bennett
We Are a Part of a Bigger Family!
The Future of Agriculture Podcast is now part of the Farm and Rural Ag Network. Listen to more ag-related podcasts by subscribing on iTunes or on the Farm and Rural Ag Network Website today.
Share the Ag-Love!
Thanks for joining us on the Future of Agriculture Podcast – your spot for valuable information, content, and interviews with industry leaders throughout the agricultural space! If you enjoyed this week’s episode, please subscribe on iTunes and leave your honest feedback. Don’t forget to share it with your friends on your favorite social media spots!
Learn more about AgGrad by visiting:
AgGrad on Twitter
AgGrad on Facebook
AgGrad on LinkedIn
AgGrad on Instagram